Our clients rely on us to help them navigate distressed situations and bring about swift and sensible solutions through bankruptcy and restructuring.
ZAG-S&W offers legal services in all aspects of bankruptcy, restructuring, creditors’ rights and commercial law.
We deliver sophisticated bankruptcy counsel and forceful litigation representation for businesses of all sizes.
We practice in all areas of bankruptcy, restructuring, creditors’ rights and commercial law, routinely handling matters involving intricate debt structures and financial instruments. We have represented clients in matters involving billions of dollars and the most complex legal issues, in Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts and restructurings, as well as in contested matters throughout the U.S.
We have a special focus on issues faced by financial institutions and investors in transactions involving distressed entities. Clients regularly rely on our bankruptcy team for advice concerning:
- Restructuring of investments in defaulted public, private, and secured and unsecured bonds
- Debtor and creditor side workouts
- Bankruptcy litigation, including fiduciary issues
- Workout of investments in CDOs and other structured investment vehicles
- Credit default swap analyses
- Enforcement of termination of swaps and other derivative instruments on account of bankruptcy or reorganization
- Issuance of non-consolidation opinions and true sale opinions on behalf of bankruptcy-remote, special purpose entities
We are especially deep in experience with private equity, debtors, and indenture trustee and other corporate trust clients.
- Chambers 2020 USA recognized the firm’s Bankruptcy/Restructuring Group and noted its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States. The group is highly recommended for advising on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation.
- U.S. News Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, National and Boston Metropolitan
Delivering on Your Next: Case Studies
Quarterbacking a successful claims resolution process
A major U.S. healthcare client and its subsidiaries needed help with the resolution of a significant number of post-effective date bankruptcy claims and issues.
Getting to Next
The bankruptcy group worked with an interdisciplinary team tasked in January 2018 with resolving approximately 3,000 claims throughout the United States totaling over $900 million. The case involved wide-ranging legal issues including, among others, bankruptcy, tax, insurance and antitrust. The case was before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York.
The claims were favorably resolved in less than one year.
Further, four high-ranking doctors subsequently sought to void their non-compete agreements, requiring the reopening of the client’s bankruptcy case. The doctors later withdrew their petitions.
Protecting the interests of an Administrative Agent and its Unsecured Lender Group
Our client needed legal counsel after being appointed as successor Administrative Agent under a $300 million Unsecured Term Loan Credit Agreement among Nine West Holdings LLC, as Borrower, and certain affiliated guarantors.
Getting to Next
On April 6, 2018, Nine West and its affiliated guarantors filed petitions under Chapter 11 in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. We represented the Administrative Agent in these Chapter 11 proceedings and as a member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors.
The Nine West plan was confirmed on February 27th, 2019.