ZAG-S&W has provided legal advice to some of the world’s most sophisticated sponsors of alternative investment funds, including real estate funds, hedge funds, unregistered commodity pools, private equity funds, and offshore funds (including funds subject to the EU’s UCITs and AIFM directives), and bank-related common and collective investment funds.
We have assisted clients in all areas of fund formation, including the selection of fund domicile and type of entity, taking into consideration investment strategy, distribution strategy, tax matters, and the location of portfolio investments. We have helped clients coordinate product disclosure in multiple jurisdictions to ensure consistent messaging. We also have assisted clients reorganizing their current stables of funds to satisfy the demands of distribution platforms both in and outside the United States.
Our private real estate funds practice is one of the most sophisticated in the U.S., and it complements our extensive and nationally recognized real estate investment trust (REIT) practice. Many of the real estate funds that we have formed have been offered around the world to many of the most experienced institutional investors.
Representative Client Work:
- Launch of a “mini-master” hedge fund/Cayman fund for a large investment manager and its principal sub-adviser
- Launch of a $60 million private real estate fund investing in a New Orleans hotel redevelopment project
- Launch of a $350 million private real estate fund investing in a joint venture with a global investment firm
- Launch of several mid-sized private equity funds
- Launch of seven funds-of-private equity funds
- Launch of an open-end timber/agriculture private fund offered to U.S. and E.U. investors
- Launch of a multi-investment timber fund offered to Canadian and UK institutional investors
- Launch of a traditional master-feeder commodity pool/Cayman master fund/Cayman feeder offered to U.S., European and Asian investors
- Launch of a U.S. private timber fund for a non-U.S. sponsor, including the sale of carbon credits
- Launch of a private crypto-currency fund
- Financing for a Russian-based carbon marketing and trading hedge fund designed to acquire, originate, and trade carbon credits in the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme