Recent federal tax legislation introduced “Opportunity Zones,” a new community reinvestment tool designed to use tax incentives to drive long-term investment to rural and low-income urban communities throughout the nation. The Opportunity Zone program is the first new national community investment program in over 15 years and has the potential to be the largest economic development program in the U.S. This broad legislation will benefit many stakeholders from individual taxpayers to developers and fund sponsors.
ZAG-S&W has created a multi-disciplinary team consisting of lawyers from our Tax, Real Estate, Affordable Housing and Corporate practice groups. We work closely with clients across the country to analyze how they might implement this new legislation into their business strategy.
More specifically, we advise clients on the following:
- Fund Formation and Structuring
- Tax Compliance and Related Tax Matters
- Real Estate Acquisitions
- Asset, Property Management and Operational Issues
- Financing Components (Senior, Mezzanine and Preferred Equity)
- Affordable Housing and Tax Credit Matters
- Business Start-Ups