Realizing their objectives while minimizing their tax liabilities remains one of the key challenges for clients around the world. Their success depends on it.
Our Tax Group provides time-is-of-the-essence, state-of-the-art, partner-level advice on a wide range of complex tax issues. Averaging over 20 years’ experience each, our tax partners creatively address the entire spectrum of tax-related legal matters, from tax planning for sophisticated corporate reorganizations to the representation of clients in adversarial proceedings with the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities.
Regardless of the context or forum, our Tax Group identifies each client’s objectives and then designs efficient and cost-effective strategies for achieving them. We solve complex problems across a wide range of tax regimes for a wide range of clients, including:
- International, federal and state tax planning
- Tax planning for business owners, investors and high net worth individuals
- Tax planning for mutual funds, REITs and other pooled investment vehicles
- Tax planning for public charities and private foundations
- Tax planning related to employee benefits and executive compensation plans
- Public company tax compliance and representation
- Representation in federal and state tax controversies, including administrative appeals and all phases of litigation
We serve corporate taxpayers across a wide variety of industries throughout the U.S. Our international work is often a result of our connections with other professionals around the world.
Many of our clients reflect our depth in the real estate, private equity, and financial services sectors. Our size and national reputation demonstrate our commitment to quality, an ability to design creative solutions to complex problems and the insight to understand and achieve our clients’ goals.
Delivery on Your Next: Case Studies
Delivering a global restructuring with a REIT conversion built on alternative, data assets
A multinational, California-based data center company wanted to convert its assets into a public REIT to realize on tax efficiencies.
Getting to Next
Our team handled the REIT conversion, including obtaining an IRS Private Letter Ruling and rationalizing worldwide operations to maintain REIT compliance.
The client successfully shifted assets to a REIT. Ameek Ashok Ponda, David Kaplan, Brian Hammell and Paul Decker supported this client in its REIT conversion and subsequent global restructuring, with a market capitalization of $25 billion.
- U.S. News Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms 2020 ranked Sullivan in Tax Law, National and Boston Metropolitan
- Legal 500 United States 2019 ranked Sullivan in U.S. Taxes (contentious and non-contentious) and International Tax and praised the following individual tax attorneys: Ameek Ashok Ponda, David Guadagnoli, Joseph Donovan, Judith Edington, Caroline Kupiec, Joseph Darby III, Brian Hammell, Richard Jones, Daniel Ryan, David Nagle, Christopher Curtis, Amy Sheridan and Douglas Stransky.
- Chambers USA 2020 ranked Sullivan in the Tax category in Massachusetts and awarded individual rankings for the following Sullivan tax attorneys: Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and REITs (Nationwide), David Guadagnoli and Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts).
- International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders Guide 2020 recognized Richard Jones, David Nagle and Douglas Stransky as leaders in the area of tax.