Ameek Ashok Ponda is director of the firm’s Tax Department and a former member of the firm’s Management Committee. He concentrates his practice in structuring corporate mergers and acquisitions, designing REIT transactions and financial instruments and working on cross-border financings and acquisitions. Ameek has represented public and private REITs in an array of real property sectors, including: business storage facilities; cold storage facilities; communications towers; data centers; dark and lit fiber; digital billboards; distributed antenna systems; foreign real estate; hotels and travel centers; industrial properties; mortgage REITs; multifamily residential; office buildings; retail properties; senior living facilities; solar, wind and power infrastructure; timberlands; transmission and distribution lines; and vineyards, greenhouses and other agricultural properties.
Ameek is nationally recognized for his work in REIT conversions and REIT cross-border matters.
Representative Client Work
- Designed tax structure for well over 1,000 M&A deals
- Converted C corporations to public REITs in the travel centers, communication towers, business storage and data center industries
- Designed tax structure for first REIT-to-REIT spin-off
- Introduced Irish, Canadian and Singapore investors into U.S. real estate deals on a tax-efficient basis
- Negotiated novel M&A structures including leveraged partnerships and master prepaid leases
- Implemented efficient tax structures for REITs investing in 50 countries throughout Europe, Asia and Latin America
- Defended the portfolio interest exemption from IRS challenge to an Islamic law-compliant transaction denominated as a lease rather than a loan