Douglas S. Stransky is a partner in the Tax department of our Boston office and the leader of the International Tax Practice group. Douglas concentrates his practice on international tax planning for clients in a wide range of industries with a particular emphasis on U.S.-based clients investing in foreign jurisdictions.
Douglas is a former co-chair of the International Tax Committee of the Boston Bar Association, an author of numerous topics related to U.S. international tax, and a frequent speaker at various conferences and webinars on international tax topics
In an extensive practice, he has designed cross-border financing strategies and structured many tax efficient multi-jurisdictional mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and reorganizations for public and private clients in the financial services, life sciences, manufacturing, private equity, technology and venture capital industries. Douglas has provided U.S. tax advice to an Israeli-based public company on its $117 million reverse IPO and led a worldwide legal team on the restructuring of foreign operations in 20 countries for a $2 billion public manufacturing company.
Before joining the firm, Douglas was the Director of International Tax Services and a member of the National Outbound Team at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
Representative Client Work
- Structured numerous tax efficient multi-jurisdictional mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and reorganizations for public and private clients in the financial services, life sciences, manufacturing, private equity, technology and venture capital industries
- Designed cross-border financing strategies, including hybrid debt structures, for multiple domestic and foreign acquisitions and restructurings and assisted clients in the recapitalization of foreign operations to reduce foreign tax burdens and enhance foreign earnings repatriation efficiency
- Advised clients on capital loss planning, foreign tax credit utilization, foreign holding company structures, treasury and cash flow management, transfer pricing and migration of intellectual property to tax-favored jurisdictions
- Provided U.S. tax advice to an Israeli-based public company on its $117 million reverse IPO
- Led a worldwide team of attorneys and other advisors to restructure foreign operations in 20 countries for a $2 billion public manufacturing company
- Served as lead counsel for a 10 country reorganization of a public manufacturing company
- Advised U.S. and non-U.S. clients on structuring cross-border real estate investments ranging from $10 million to $600 million
- Represented public and private clients in matters before the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, including controversies, voluntary disclosures related to offshore activities and private letter rulings
- Counseled nonresident families on pre-immigration U.S. tax and estate planning matters