Howard is the leader of the firm’s Capital Markets Group. He specializes in counseling both public and private companies involved in equity and debt financings, including IPOs and follow-on public offerings as well as private placements, and regularly advises clients regarding ongoing corporate governance and disclosure matters, stock exchange listing standards and Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Dodd-Frank Act compliance.
Howard advises companies in a number of industries including real estate investment trusts (REITs), technology and life sciences companies. As part of his practice, Howard frequently advises Israeli and other international companies that seek to have their securities traded in the United States. His clients vary in size from smaller reporting companies and emerging growth companies to well-known seasoned issuers and are listed on Nasdaq, NYSE and OTC.
Howard excels at deciphering complex SEC rules and advising clients in how to apply them. He efficiently works through “gray” areas with clients to achieve an appropriate balance of business goals within the parameters of legal constraints. Howard’s goal is to help companies and their executives effectively negotiate transactions and achieve well-honed communications and disclosures as part of their overall strategies.
Howard writes and speaks extensively on many securities and governance topics. He is also the editor of The SEC Pulse, a blog that provides updates and commentary from our Capital Markets Group on issues affecting publicly traded and privately owned businesses, investment banks, foreign companies, boards of directors and company officers.
When not advising on Capital Markets matters, Howard enjoys long-distance running and acting in community theater productions.
Representative Client Work
- $480 million initial public offering in the logistics REIT industry
- $300 million public preferred equity offering in the hotel REIT industry
- $400 million public senior note offering in the office REIT industry
- $400 million public common equity offering in the senior living facility REIT industry
- Initial public offering of ADSs of a stem cell company in the biotech industry
- Public ordinary shares offering of an Israeli company in the hi-tech industry
- Representation of a foreign software company in the acquisition and going private transaction involving a public U.S. software company
- $150 million 144A offering and A/B exchange in the information storage and protection industry
- Served as Senior Corporate Counsel for Stream International, Inc., a provider of CRM and technical support services
- Design of governance charters, policies and procedures for senior living services company
- Switch of Nasdaq listed financial services company to listing on NYSE
- $1.6 billion acquisition of an information storage and protection services company in public stock for stock transaction
- Initial public offering of a transportation company