Jessica represents clients in a wide variety of real estate and related commercial transactions throughout the United States. Specifically, she focuses on acquisition, disposition and development of commercial, industrial and multi-family real estate and related financing transactions, as well as lease transactions involving office, retail and industrial properties, parking and warehouse facilities, and other commercial real estate.
Jessica is experienced in a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions, with a particular emphasis on real estate conveyancing, development, financing and investments. She also advises clients on the tax incentives available for renewable energy projects and related requirements, including such U.S. tax incentives as the Production Tax Credits (PTC), Investment Tax Credits (ITC) and the U.S. Treasury Grant. Further, she focuses on many aspects of environmental law, including transactional and compliance audits, permitting, enforcement, compliance, crisis management and response services, training, labeling and communication, environmental management systems and legislative and regulatory developments.
Representative Client Work
- Help clients assess risk and navigate transactional, regulatory and litigation scenarios involving significant liabilities and novel legal issues
- Handle environmental matters for domestic and international businesses in the chemical, manufacturing, industrial, financial, medical and energy industries, and public and private utilities before federal and state administrative agencies and courts
- Manage the legal aspects of a corporate crisis, including initial crisis response, release reporting, incident investigation and representing clients in subsequent enforcement by federal and state agencies and civil litigation by affected parties
- Represent developers, lenders, investors and public authorities in dealing with land use laws affecting planning and zoning, environmental impact review, the coastal zone, wetlands, brownfields, solid, hazardous and municipal waste, public lands and endangered species. Assist industrial clients in obtaining, renewing and complying with permits and regulatory requirements for facility construction and operation.
- Conduct environmental audits, or due diligence reviews, either in connection with ongoing operations or in anticipation of real estate transfers, corporate acquisitions or financing. Facilitate the design and implementation of environmental compliance programs at state and federal levels.
Renewable Energy Tax Credit Equity Financings Representing Tax Credit Equity Investor
- Solar Energy Transactions
- Leasing of roof space on three separate buildings in Portland, OR, where the single purpose entity created owned the panels and leased them to building owner. The project is approximately 1MW and the tax equity investment constituted nearly $6,000,000.
- Placement of solar panels to light the highway lights outside of Portland, OR, where the single purpose entity created obtained a site license to access the land. The project is approximately 104kW and tax equity financing was in excess of $1,200,000.
- Residential solar installation on the roofs of homes in CT, where the single purpose entity created owns the solar panels and leases them to homeowners. Total installations were capped at 5MW with tax credit equity capped at approximately $17,600,000.
- Installation of 14MW photovoltaic array at the Nellis Air Force Base outside of Las Vegas, NV, where the single purpose entity created ground leased the area for the solar farm. At the time of closing, it was the largest project of its type in the United States; investor equity capped at $72,000,000.
- Wind Energy Transactions
- Closed a portfolio of approximately 320MW of wind facilities in WA, NY, and CO; tax credit equity consisted of approximately $470,000,000.
- Closed a portfolio of approximately 565MW of wind facilities in MN, SD, OR, IA and PA, and the equity constituted approximately $628,000,000.
- Geothermal Energy Transaction
- Closed second tax credit equity financing of its type done in the United States, with a portfolio of approximately 52MW of geothermal sites in NV and the tax credit equity constituted approximately $136,000,000.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented private company client in the acquisition of approximately 16MW of solar energy facility assets. Drafted substantially all of the merger agreement. Drafted development agreement, promissory note, security agreement, closing certificates, assignment of contracts and related documentation. Performed all environmental due diligence review of the target company and assisted with the vast majority of the energy, real estate and regulatory due diligence. Coordinated closing and supervised preparation of disclosure schedules and closing documents.