Laura Steinberg is a partner in the Litigation department of our Boston office. Her practice consists of federal and state civil (commercial) litigation and arbitrations throughout the United States, with an emphasis on complex regulatory and fiduciary issues. She has extensive experience in disputes involving shareholder and investor rights and relationships; application of the business judgment rule; and fiduciary disclosures, compliance and enforcement issues (often in a securities law setting). A significant component of her practice consists of counseling clients on how to minimize or avoid litigation exposure both contractually and through proactive conduct. As part of that process, Laura frequently conducts internal investigations for non-management directors. Where litigation is necessary or unavoidable, she works with clients to identify and attain the desired objectives in light of any applicable budgetary constraints.
Laura has regularly arbitrated in many different forums, including the American Arbitration Association, the National Association of Securities Dealers, the New York Stock Exchange and specially tailored entities. Internationally, she has arbitrated under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce and related organizations.
Representative Client Work
- Representation of both purchasers and sellers in post-closing disputes including alleged breach of representations and warranties, balance sheet adjustments and indemnification rights
- Representation of independent trustees and third-party mutual fund service providers in various SEC and state securities enforcement actions and related private securities litigation
- Defense of majority shareholders and partners, closely held corporations, and partnership entities against derivative and breach of fiduciary duty, including freeze out claims
- Handling of internal investigations into full range of fiduciary issues
- Pursuit of partnership books and records actions